Seabrook enjoys a prime location on Galveston Bay at the outflow of Clear Creek. Formerly a Spanish land grant known as Morris Cove, the town began to assume its modern shape in 1895 when Seabrook Sydnor purchased part of the Morris league and platted the town site. Brothers Albert and Ernest Fay founded the Seabrook Shipyard in 1938, which went on to build submarine chasers and rescue boats during World War II. The year 1961 was a landmark moment for Seabrook: Hurricane Carla hit on September 11, and a week later, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced that its Manned Spaceflight Center would be built in nearby Clear Lake, launching a period of accelerated growth. Fearing annexation by Houston or La Porte, Seabrook leaders took steps toward incorporation that same year. Today Seabrook is listed on the Great Texas Coastal Birding Trail and is part of the third-largest boating community in the United States.